Friday, December 12, 2008

Disturbing...

I enjoy watching horror movies - but there is a fine line between a horror/gore movie, and a movie that will make you question whether or not you're actually watching a snuff film. These are all films that I've watched (or at least tried to watch) once, and will most likely never go anywhere near them again.

Top 5 Extremely Disturbing Films That You Really Shouldn't Ever Watch:

5) I Spit on Your Grave (1978) - This movie pops up on a lot of "best-of" lists, but I had a really hard time watching this when I finally rented it a couple years ago. There's something about witnessing 45 minutes of a woman being tortured, raped and practically left for dead that has not an ounce of entertainment in it for me. Honestly, I'm disturbed by anyone who actually got past the first half of this movie and enjoyed it. Maybe it gets better towards the end, but I'll never know because I refuse to watch it.



4) Faces of Death (1978) - People who own any of the Faces of Death movies and even just occasionally view them are potential psychopaths. These movies are not fun to watch, they put a knot in your stomach and make you afraid to leave your house. I rented one of these with a friend when we were 15 and couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it. The fact that any of these movies are even legal to sell and distribute makes me question my stance on censorship.

3) Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) - Even though this film is extremely macabre and ominous, it actually is a very good movie. Just don't suggest to watch it with someone you don't know too well. You'll scare the shit out of them. Influenced by real-life convicted murderer Henry Lee Lucas, this "slasher" flick tells the story of a man who takes pleasure in killing (and videotaping) random women in Chicago with a seedy old friend of his from prison named Otis. There are many moments that are outright disturbing, and a little too realistic, that make you never want to watch it again. Example: after killing two prostitutes in cold blood, Henry and Otis share hamburgers and fries in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant and discuss the joys of murdering random people and getting away with it. This may not seem disturbing, but trust me, it is. Ever since I first watched Henry, I've had a hard time eating drive-thru in a parking lot.



2) Last House on the Left (1972) - I've never understood the appeal and popularity of this utterly unwatchable piece of shit. If Wes Craven hadn't given us Nightmare on Elm Street, it would be very easy to label him nothing more than a B-movie hack, incapable of delivering a coherent well-directed film. Fuck Wes Craven, fuck him.



1) Suicide Club (2002) - I had heard so much about this movie from so many people that it was inevitable I would finally watch it. No one warned me that it would haunt me for years. Make no mistake - this movie will disturb the shit out of you. It involves a pop song, and the effect it has on convincing Japanese school-children to commit group suicide. From the very first scene, you'll probably want to immediately turn it off. Well, you probably should. It doesn't get any lighter. I would say I'm surprised that this movie hasn't been remade by Hollywood yet, but then again, I'd be surprised if anyone even wanted to touch this subject in America. It's worth watching, but please, don't watch this.



No comments: